USB SPEAKERS : Compact & Portable
Universal Serial Bus – USB speaker systems can provide quality audio to your Mac, PC or handheld devices.
Digital USB-Only speakers use a single, direct USB connection to your Mac or PC computer for both power and audio. You can eliminate a tangle of wires, potential battery recharging and/or replacement issues, and AC power-strip clogging transformers if you so desire.
Analog USB speakers use two connections: USB for power, and a separate audio cable with 1/8″-3.5mm plug. These are compatible with any Mac or PC – but can also be used with phones, tablets, MP3 players and other audio devices.
There are compact external USB portable speakers that slip into a laptop computer carry case for easy portability with room to spare. There’s also 2.0 and even 2.1 desktop USB speakers with subwoofers for improved audio at home or work.
Enjoy improved sound, higher volume levels, and wider frequency response. That’s something which most gadgets, MacBooks, PC notebooks and far too many desktop computers with tiny built-in speakers can’t even begin to match.
CHOOSE THE KIND OF USB SPEAKER YOU’RE SHOPPING FOR:
Best Sounding USB Speaker Systems
Below are our top loudspeaker picks for stylish, full range 2-piece stereo USB audio at your desktop — No power supply or AC outlet needed! Click image to see specs and prices:
Types Of USB Computer Speakers
– One piece mono portable USB travel speakers with a single speaker driver for improved computer audio and music listening on the go. Lightweight and compact, these speakers can fit in the palm of your hand.
– One piece stereo USB laptop speakers with both left and right speaker drivers in one unit for easy portability and travel. Typically they’re USB soundbar type speakers.
– Two piece 2.0 stereo USB computer speaker options offer wider stereo signal separation and deliver a more pleasing ambient sound field.
– Three piece 2.1 USB desktop computer speakers with a central subwoofer and stereo satellite enclosures for midrange and highend frequencies.
Various Speaker System Features
– Some smaller loudspeakers are USB port powered, but also have a separate 1/8″ Analog cable for the audio signal. These Analog connected products are different than more straightforward USB Only Digital laptop speakers with only a single cable for both power and stereo audio.
– Select USB speakers may also feature on-board volume and mute controls, or a 1/8″ stereo 3.5mm input jack for connecting a computer Tablet, MP3 Player, Cell-Phone, Apple iPod, iPhone, iPad or other external audio source.
– You can use an A/C USB charging block to power USB Analog speaker systems if you so choose, then just plug the audio cable into whatever audio source you prefer. All-Digital USB only speakers are only appropriate for direct USB connection to a laptop or desktop computer system.
Best Portable USB Speaker Choices
Benefits Of USB Powered Speakers
Most USB computer speaker systems are far louder and have a deeper, wider frequency response range over the built-in speakers of nearly any laptop computer.
No system-level audio drivers need to be installed. Modern computer operating systems support Univeral Audio Class – UAC devices and will instantly recognize the loudspeaker in the Sound Input Control Panel of Microsoft Windows or the Sound Preference Pane of Apple’s Mac OSX.
The 5 volts and mere 500 milliamps of power on a USB port limits USB speakers to providing, at-best, about 2.5 watts of total audio power output. However, that’s enough loudness to fill a room and hear much more of what your ears are missing from nearly any Mac laptop or PC notebooks tiny built-in speakers.
A new generation of louder USB 3.1 / USB-C powered speakers can take advantage of the increased 900mAh power of a USB 3 port and potentially deliver from to 4.5 to 8 watts of output.
Larger USB desktop speaker systems with both main speaker drivers AND passive radiator cones can help improve the lower bass frequencies that other small computer speaker designs might lack. With well-engineered, larger and high quality drivers, desktop USB speakers can deliver a surprising amound of bass.
The loudspeaker products featured here are compatible with any speed USB port. Digital stereo audio has relatively low-bandwidth demand on the Universal Serial Bus. As such, they’ll operate well even on older computers with USB 1.1 ports – as well as newer computers with USB 2.0, USB 3.0 SuperSpeed interfaces. For Type-C USB 3.1 ports you may need an adapter or hub since most USB desktop and laptop speakers use a standard Type-A USB plug.
The right choice in USB speakers can provide a high-quality audio playback solution for your computer. They work well in your home or office with your desktop Macintosh or PC, or a Windows notebook or Apple MacBook laptop and are ready to travel when needed.